PROGRAM START TIME
We plan to start the next round of training in April 2018.
To start at any time: you can get a head start on your Program and prepare via doing readings, and starting your 1-to-1 practica (sessions with a Lifespace Trainer, and possibly being a client for advanced Lifespace students).
The best time to start the Core Courses is at the beginning of a 2-year cycle with the Foundation Skills Course, 901.
The Core Courses can be joined later than with 901, depending on your background. However, if you have not taken 901, then you will usually need to take it via listening to recordings of the classes and having some foundational sessions with a Lifespace Trainer, as a prerequisite to taking other courses. Each course is grounded in the Foundation Skills with the addition of different transformational tools.
- Before you begin the Core Courses: you are requested to begin your individual practicum requirements with at least one private counselling session with Barbara Forest to personally & deeply experience the transformational processes, to decide re the Program being a fit for you, and to get a head start with the processes taught. This is part of your application procedure.
- Depending on how much time you have before your first Core Course starts, you can prepare and get a head start by doing readings, listening to recordings of past Core Courses, and starting your 1-to-1 practica (sessions with a Lifespace Trainer, and possibly being a client for advanced Lifespace students).
1. Types of Students:
Our counsellor training program is geared toward people who are interested in
- going on a journey of personal growth and healing
- learning skills for relationship and mutual-help networks
- learning skills for professional development in Counselling and Human Relations
Students come from a wide variety of professional, academic, ethnic and economic backgrounds, yet are united by the sincere desire to help others and make a positive difference in their own lives. Some will have already been counsellors for many years, while others will have been helping others in more informal contexts. Everyone entering the program already has some experience in the field of counselling and human relations (either formally or informally) and wishes to upgrade or obtain more skills.
Research shows that a therapist’s warmth, genuineness, non-judgmental caring, and empathic listening are essential for working with people successfully. These are also the qualities, in addition to pertinent life experience, that we are looking for in our potential students.
The focus is on hands-on practical skills attainment. Applicants also need to have the maturity, experience, and personal qualities relevant for training in skills to help others. Students in the Program are on their own healing journey. However, they also need to be at a level of stability in their personal development that they are ready to also facilitate others.
Above: a Lifespace student consults with Barbara for feedback on a tape-recorded session of him as a counsellor.
2. Application Steps:
(1) Filling out and emailing us the Online Application Form, and then discussing your background and goals with Barbara Forest. (Click on Online Application Form.)
(2) Having at least one 1-to-1 counselling session/tutorial in the foundation skills, with Barbara, to personally experience the transformational processes, and to mutually decide if the Program is a fit for you (counts toward your practicum requirements). Fee is at the student rate.
(3) Taking the free Introductory Seminar and Program Orientation (when next held). This course gives you an understanding of the key principles, methods, and underlying philosophy of the Program. (Click on Orientation.) If you are unable to attend the group Orientation, then you can obtain a private one from Barbara. Note: (1)-(3) can be in any order.
(4) Once you are accepted into the Program, you give a non-refundable deposit to hold your place, work out with Barbara the extent of the advance preparation that you would like to do, and obtain the necessary materials, such as, Training Manuals and reading lists.
(Click on Fees & Certificates for costs.)
Location: In Toronto west end High Park area. Email us at email@example.com to contact the Director and Core Instructor, Barbara Forest, to explore if the Program is a fit for you.
Options: you can
- ask your questions via email
- have a phone discussion
- follow up with a meeting in person
- have counselling session(s) to personally experience the transformational processes